Re: BHS: Bug help system

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 03:11:58PM -0500, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 06:50:15PM +0000, Mark Howard wrote:
> [snip]
> > - New Maintainers want to be part of the Debian community, yet they
> > usually start by searching the Internet for yet more trivial packages to
> > include in Debian. These are packaged well and kept bug free, but this
> > is a relatively simple task. Debian is full of buggy packages - New
> > maintainers should prove that they are good enough by helping fix these.
>
> Good idea. Some people have voiced their concern over NM's that only care
> for their own little package. It's time to change the still-widespread
> perception that becoming DD = becoming package maintainer. I think we need
> some NM's who are just interested to fix bugs in existing packages, rather
> than introduce new packages.

http://qa.debian.org/ or debian-qa@lists.debian.org ?

Of course, I'm all for having DD's join the project w/out a package,
doing QA work and the suchlike... I'd jump at the chance, since I've
yet to come across a package I used often enough to make it worth
packaging for Debian (Although gjiten is tempting me... Of course,
it supplies .debs so it's not really in need a maintainer as it is
a sponsor...)

> > They don't as many maintainers hate people messing with their bugs.

Isn't this recorded in a big list somewhere? I know the BSPs have a
list of people who don't want NMU's done on their packages... This
would seem a logical extension, and could be stored on qa.debian.org,
for the world to see...

Although, maybe we should define 'messing'... I mean, as far as I
understand it, _closing_ bugs is generally only for the maintainer
and the submitter... posting to bugs can't hurt, surely. Anything
in between is really hard to assign rules to, apart from "Think twice".

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

use, duplication and distribution.