Re: BHS: Bug help system

On 25 Mar 2003, Mark Howard wrote:

> The system would work in a similar way to the bts:
> When maintainers find a bug report which they don't know how to deal
> with / don't have time to deal with / think somebody else could do much
> better *and* they think somebody else might (such as bug #182330 -
> creating a pts icon for galeon bookmark), they would write a control
> email telling the bug help system which bug they want somebody else to
> look at, possibly with their own short description of the problem. This
> request would be sent to one of a number of groups, e.g. graphics, man
> pages, gconf, powerpc, bugzilla_search_masters, c++, make, gtk,
> usability...

Use the existing bts, and the help tag.

Then, write queries to find all bugs tagged help.

The only issue I see, is where the maintainer knows he needs specific help
from some special group(or a list of groups).  The current storage mechanism
in the bts doesn't easily allow for a tag with a value, let alone multiple
values.

I could see the following syntax:

tag 12345 help +gnome -kde

One might always want to say that all bugs on a package, source package, or
maintainer, need help, if the maintainer knows that he will be busy for an
extended period.