Re: RFC: New required package: libblkid1

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 10:46:23AM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:

> "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu> writes:
> > The idea is to have a single implementation of code currently living
> > in mount, mke2fs, tune2fs, e2label, and fsck, and to store a cache of
> > where block device to UUID/Label mappings in the file /etc/blkid.tab,
> > so that that these programs don't have to search every single block
> > device (and LVM and EVMS devices) in the system.
>
> Um, `cache' as in file-updated-by-program?  If so, it probably shouldn't
> be in /etc (see other raging discussion on this mailing list).
>
> [I guess it probably _should_ be in /var somewhere, but all the issues
> brought up for /etc/mtab probably apply here too, or even more so.]

We're talking about a file which would need to be updated in two instances:

- A physical device is added or removed from the system, or

- (theoretical) A future version of some software changes the file format

and which may be needed (like fstab) in order to mount non-root filesystems.
/etc sounds like a reasonable place to put it.

--
 - mdz