Re: RFC: New required package: libblkid1

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 03:46:29PM +0100, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> On a different matter: is it a possibility to make e2fsprogs
> non-essential in the near future? There's naow a number of production
> quality file systems available, so the number of systems without any
> ext2 filesystems will increase - yet e2fsprogs is still essential.

Yeah, I'm working on it.  It will require making a number of a few new
required packages which will be split out from e2fsprogs, since
programs like the fsck driver are part of e2fsprogs, for historical
reasons.

The reasons why e2fsprogs is required, and why fsck and its required
libraqries have been split out earlier can be found in
/usr/share/doc/e2fsprogs/README.Debian.

I believe that it is now possible to make the package split now
safely, but more investigation is needed.

							- Ted