Re: how to give an older package version a higher priority?

Quoting Arne Goetje <arne@debian.linux.org.tw>:

> I have an older version of UCD snmp which I need for another program. I want
> to use the debian package, but because the version included in woody is
> newer, apt-get and aptitude want to automatically install the newer
> version.

You mean that you've made your own package which you don't want upgraded?

The easiest way to not have apt upgrade this is to put it on hold. Don't know
how you do this in aptitude, but in dselect it's using the equal (=) character
on the package name...

> How can I give the older packages a higher priority without
> changing anything in the apt config files?

If you're making your own package, put a higher epoc on the version number...

For example, my nagios package previosly had version '1.0b5-28' (a beta version
of 1.0. When the 1.0 version came, I had to update the epoc so that the newer
version really IS newer. Hence, I had to put '2:1.0-1' as version in the changelog
file...

----- s n i p -----
nagios (2:1.0-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * New upstream version
    Changes since 1.0b6 include:
    - Minor bug fixes in CGIs, docs, init script, and sample config files
    - Spec file updates
    - Bug fix for flex host downtime
    - Embedded perl bug fix for arguments with spaces
    - Host escalation logic fix
    - Bug fix for PostgreSQL timestamps
    Closes: #163342

 -- Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@debian.org>  Mon, 25 Nov 2002 07:33:02 +0100

nagios (1.0b5-28) unstable; urgency=low

Please continue this discussion on the debian-devel or debian-user lists!
--
NSA Rule Psix FSF fissionable North Korea Uzi assassination CIA SDI
Panama Delta Force class struggle Waco, Texas subway congress