Re: RFC: Upstream author renamed his software

El día 16 mar 2003, Santiago Vila escribía:
> Richard Braakman wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:
> > > Agreed.  Note that this is one reason why updating from an older
> > > released debian version to a newer released debian version should not
> > > skip intermediate versions.  If you do skip major released versions
> > > then this process to walk a package to a newer version is skipped too.
> > > Example: Going from potato to sarge, bad, skips steps in process.
> > > Going from potato to woody then update woody to sarge, good, gets all
> > > of the right steps.
> >
> > Isn't this the problem that a combination of Conflicts and Replaces
> > is supposed to solve?  dselect should automatically recommend replacing
> > the old package with the new package, without any dummy packages being
> > involved.
>
> No, a Conflicts and Replaces just ensures that if you install the new
> package, the old one is removed, but does not tell dselect to automatically
> select the new package. That's why, in general, a dummy package should
> be created every time a package changes its name.
>
> If this is not in policy yet, it should be.

 I haven't been able to find anything about this when I moved Ximian
 Setup Tools to Gnome System Tools, so I suppose it isn't, or I wasn't
 very good at searching for that.

--
  Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
     jsogo@debian.org