Re: The current (not existing) PAM policy

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 02:14:12AM +0100, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> I agree something has to be done here, but using the 'other' file as a
> catch-all doesn't seem to be the solution to me.
> I vaguely remember that on a RedHat box there was a module (I
> think called pam_stack.so) that could be used to 'call' another pam
> service. Something along the lines of:

> /etc/pam.d/ssh:

> auth	required	pam_stack.so 	call login
> session	required	do some special ssh stuff
> session	required	pam_stack.so 	call login
> .
> .

> /etc/pam.d/login:
> auth	required	do login
> session	required	....

> Well you got the point. But I also vaguely remember there was something
> wrong with this according to the security experts, don't remember
> what...

It creates a separate pam stack for each set of calls, making it
impossible to share information between the authentication and
authorization stacks, for example.

I understand that Linux-PAM supports a straightforward $include syntax
that could be used in place of pam_stack, to much better effect.  The
place to start is by patching libpam0g to provide suitable config
snippets that can be included by applications.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer