aptitude, recommends, suggests

Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Maybe, we should move theis to -devel.

Agreed, therefore I am quoting the whole message for context. I have one
response rather far below.

> I think "aptitude" was successful to demonstrate proof-of-concept
> directions for the user presentation of debian archive.
>
> I think with some colaboration and new policies, it may be very
> extensible and useful.
>
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 10:24:07PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Osamu Akoi wrote:
> > > We need to popularize the use of aptitude as default package management
> > > UI with the next Sarge release.
> >
> > I'm in the process of doing that with base-config. Bug #166435 really
> > needs to be resolved before we have a hope of aptitude going into base
> > where base-config can let the user run it though.
>
> Great.
>
> > There is also a fair amount of aptitude advocacy going on on debian-user
> > and elewhere. The new(ish) apt-get like command line UI has really
> > helped a lot.
>
> For me action items before Sarge are:
>
>  1. Fix categorical browser data before release  (no fundamental change
>     but just bug fix to get 90% of packages coverd.)
>  2. "Debian Reference" to include decent amount of exposure to aptitude.
>  3. Move from US to Europe and get connectivity again :-)
>
> I do not know how much I cam do considering my imminent departure from
> USA.
>
> > Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > >   aptitude installs recommended packages by default.  It doesn't install
> > > suggested packages without the user going to a lot of trouble, because
> > > the dependency tree gets ridiculously big when "suggests" are followed.
> >
> > I've expereienced the problem with suggest in aptitude too of course.
> >
> > Have you thought about making aptitude only look down the tree from the
> > manually selected packages, a certian distance? So if I select a, which
> > depends on b, which suggests c, which suggests d, aptitude would install
> > a and b. If a suggested e, aptitude would also install e, but if e
> > suggested f, it would ignore that.
>
> I agree after using it.  I think good control is needed if recommends
> pulls 100 packages.  Some theadshold mechanism will be nice.
>
> At least we should have some local overide policy mechanism where we can
> stop pulling of "suggests".
>
> > Somewhat at cross purposes to the above, I think it would be better if
> > aptitude could default suggested packages to not installed, but display
> > them anyway as suggestions on the dependency resolution screen (or on
> > its closest existing counterpart, the screen you get when you hit 'g').
>
> It is a menu configuration item under dependency..
>
>  Automatically resolve dependencies of a package when it is selected.
>   [X] Automatically fix broken packages before installing or removing
>   [X] Install Recommended packages automatically
>   [X] Install Suggested packages automatically
>   [X] Remove unused packages automatically

No, those knobs control whether aptitude auto-selects all recommended
and suggested packages. My suggestion is that aptitude behave more like
dselect for suggetions -- display suggested packages to the user so they
can easily select them, but do not select them by default.

--
see shy jo