Unidentified subject!

hi,
Suppose that i am planning to be a maintainer for Debian and i am going to maintain a package normally.
Through the stages that i am stepping ahead, i will be asked for the package that i will be maintaining and
i will show it and prove it. And that package does not have to belong to me originally. However, the maintainer
of that package for Debian will be me.  I ask if there is any possibility or any fact that some
code writers who want their programs to be in Debian could apply not only to present maintainers but also to the
appliers. So becoming new maintainer for Debian could be easy; for appliers to prove their capabilities on
packaging and other material :)

I know this mail is appropriate for this list.
Nevertheless, i'd like to ask...

Sincerely

--halil