Re: Proposal for removal of mICQ package

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 07:10:03AM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> Why does it bother you so much that a program whose author has
> demonstrated such animosity toward the project should be removed? We

Well, basically i feel bound to micq. I use micq for quite some time, i
did keep the project "alife" for about one year (the time between matthews
car accident and ruedigers entry into the project) and i still do the
background tech stuff around micq.org.

Yes, iam involved altho i try to be as neutral as possible in this
thread.

> don't have a moral obligation to package everything. Some software sucks

Correct. However there are people willing to still package it, however
some people ask for removal because, well you read the thread.

The Question in place for me is, did Ruediger take action as Upstream
which prevented the Program to run in a manner he did not intented it
to; or did he impose some security risk to Users of his program, as some
people here suggest.

I do not have any interest in wether he should be able to become
maintainer, i do have interest in keeping micq in debian, though.

In my interest i fail to understand why some people insist that Ruediger
did or will do any harm to the Debian Users, except that he showed that
the Debian Maintainer did not show the adequate care for the Package.

> Accusing someone of having an ego because they think that software that
> can't be trusted should be removed from debian is itself a fairly empty
> argument.

No, iam not accusing someone to have an ego because they wanted to
remove software that imposed security risks. This is what i want the
debian project to have.

However i again fail to see how Ruedigers Code imposed Security Risks.
It simply failed to run because the Maintainer didnt follow Upstreams
Demands for a simple thing.

Notez bien that i do find Ruedigers way wrong, however it should affect
only his NM Application, not the Package itself.

The Problems would be solved if someone with a higher EQ than Martin and
with more experience either would package it or sponsor it for
Ruediger.

	-rg