Re: Freeze Please?

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 01:30:49PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:20:21AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Er... we're not using cross-compiling anywhere in our infrastructure
> > today, and you want to start by using it on the compiler itself?
>
> Actually, that's sound.  GCC is the most likely software to
> cross-compile correctly, because people spend a lot of time making it
> work.

I've considered writing a simple gcc wrapper script that, when
executed on a m68k machine, would transfer the relevant files
to a faster machine, cross-compile them, and transfer the
results back.  Of course, the transferring would be done most
conveniently via NFS.  This method would likely work immediately
for a large number of packages, without the widespread problems
typical with full cross compilation.

dave...