Re: Setting global env variables [was: Congrats! [gnome font rendering]]

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 04:58:30PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 01:16:17AM +1100, Drew Parsons wrote:
> > And how can a package set the global environment variables it needs?  For
> > instance, with regards to /etc/profile, we don't have an /etc/profile.d
> > directory to write package-specific config files to, like other unices have.
>
> Writing a small wrapper script might be the easiest solution to this
> problem.

Hmm, that won't actually help: I guess I misstated the problem.

The situation is with Xprint, the X11 printing system provided by
xprt-xprintorg (or xprt, sort of).  Client programs such as mozilla require
environment variable XPSERVERLIST to be set to make use of it.  Now the
variable "belongs" to xprt*, but it's used by mozilla and others (if it's
not set, they just use the "normal" printing system).

Your suggestion would mean writing a wrapper for mozilla, but that of course
is out of scope for the xprt packages.  What I'm after is a way for xprt to
set the variable once globally, so it'll be available for any Xprint client,
whoever it may be.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A