Re: question regarding prelinking (was: (inc. note from dpkg developers) (was:Bug#XXXXXX: (far too many packages) needs rebuilt for prelinking))

[Hamish Moffatt]
> So Jack, can you give an example of a program where a significant
> amount of time is spent having the dynamic linker work out the
> correct linkage?  ie a package that would benefit significantly from
> prelinking.
>
> I'm having a hard time seeing how this will make such a difference.

I'm not Jack, but I'll give you an example anyway.  Most KDE use a
significant part of their startup time linking.  Using prelinking with
KDE will give quicker reponse when starting new KDE applications.