Re: Breaking threads

On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 09:11, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> On Sunday 12 January 2003 23:26, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> > yo!
> >
> > Am I the only one noticing an increasing frequency of threads being
> > broken (evolution does not do threading by Subject). Various culprits,
> > apparently:
> >

> then evolution is broken.  jwz has a writeup on his site explaining the algo
> he implemented in Netscape mailer.  It makes sense and is pretty easy to
> implement.  Basically you try the right things and then use Subject when all
> else fails.

I agree that in *some* cases, threading by Subject is good to have - if
it's optional and can be switched off.

> Part of handling email is dealing with busted clients and servers.  Being hard
> nosed about the input only leads to pain and suffering of the user and the
> admin.

I don't think I'm hard nosed here - I just feel that I'm observing more
broken threads than in the past and was wondering if I'm the only
person.

(If you want to see me being hard nosed about something try complaining
that my messages look all messed up to outlook users due to PGP/MIME :-)

cheers
-- vbi

--
featured link: http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/subkeys