Re: Bug#XXXXXX: (far too many packages) needs rebuilt for prelinking

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 04:57:44PM -0500, Jack Howarth wrote:
> Colin,
>     Sorry, my fault for not providing a heads up that there was a
> limit to number to these reports and they covered your average sid
> install. Actually, the rcs package definitely can stand to be
> rebuilt as it suffers from the bug described in the thread...

> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2002-09/msg00625.html

> This basically means that neither glibc's combreloc and prelink
> will work on those binaries preventing either approach from
> reducing the dynamic loader time used on handling relocations.
>    Also on ppc far more packages probably suffer from
> another flaw in binutils fixed around the same time...

You mind running by me exactly why anyone should *care* about the
library load time for rcs?

$ ldd /usr/bin/rcs
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40026000)

There is more at issue here than just providing a "heads up".  You filed
gratuitous bug reports, en masse, at normal severity (where the above
impresses me as 'wishlist' only), without consulting debian-devel first.
"Faux pas" is an understatement.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer