Re: AMD response about Debian x86-64 port

On Saturday 11 January 2003 16:51, Lukas Geyer wrote:
> Bart Trojanowski <bart@jukie.net> writes:
> > For developers there has to be a starting point -- that is, what does a
> > developer wanting to port gnuchess install?
>
> Just curious (as upstream and Debian maintainer of gnuchess): What
> sort of porting would be needed for gnuchess itself? We use uint64_t
> for bitboards, so glibc and gcc should do all the "dirty" work, right?
> Frankly, I don't see any need for changes to the gnuchess source.

Since gnuchess is a non-library package -- i.e. it does not install
any .so files -- the work needed is relatively simple. The actual
source code does not need any changes, unless there are bugs.

In my experience, around 50% of the package in some way depend on
libraries being installed in $prefix/lib. Your Makefiles need to be
prepared for having libncurses and libreadline (which gnuchess
appears to depend on) installed in $prefix/lib64 instead.
Dependencies on glibc are no problem, those are handled by gcc.

If we want to support building both 64 and 32 bit packages on
one system, you also have to be prepared for choosing the
right library. That means, if your system has both
/usr/lib/libncurses.so and /usr/lib64/libncurses.so, gnuchess
must link explicitly against /usr/lib64/libncurses.so when
building for x86_64, sparc64 or s390x. If you use libtool,
you probably get it wrong.
It has not been discussed whether an environment with both
32bit and 64bit -dev packages should be supported or not.

	Arnd <><