Re: Other things Gentoo have (was: Re: Lagging behind on security?)

Hello!

Em Sex 10 Jan 2003 15:58, Steve Langasek escreveu:
<snip>
| But you proposed apt-gar, which would bless this with the 'apt' name; and
| you proposed a system where source code is pulled directly from upstream
| sources without review by maintainers, which as I said I didn't think
| even the ports systems did.

Name it whatever you want. The name is not the point. (just for the record: I
am using the name "gar" as an exampleof a Ports-like system). Name is gar2deb
or anything else. It **really** doesn't matter.

<snip>
| I don't object to a ports-like system for Debian; I object to the idea of
| pulling anything directly from upstream and installing it on a Debian
| machine using Debian-provided tools.

So, we should not provide packages for make, gcc, gzip and tar for the same
reason. :-) Come on... most of us have
non-packaged-pulled-straight-from-upstream-and-compiled tarballs in our
systems. I don't see why we couldn't provide better tools to build .deb
packages out of tarballs in a Ports-like system and ease users life by
allowing it to use our dpkg database to manage those packages.

Maybe, if such a system does exist, we should have policies allowing then to
be installed just under /usr/local or something like that.

| > Come on... is it really that a big deal? It's just some way for
| > advanced users to generate .deb packages from upstream tarballs. Maybe
| > even we, developers, could have some use for it, after all...
|
| I don't think advanced users are the ones most likely to use such a tool.

So what? A regular user can use devscripts with no restrictions, why couldn't
he use a Ports-like system?

[]s

Pablo

--