Re: AMD response about Debian x86-64 port

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 09:54:43AM -0500, Bart Trojanowski wrote:
> However, since we are already recompiling applications on the x86-64 to
> run in 32-bit more, we should recompile them in 64-bit mode to improve
> performance (wider registers, 8 additional general purpose registers,
> etc).  There may be some apps that will (initially) not work in 64-bit
> mode, and for these we use 32-bit mode.

We've got several 64-bit architectures in Debian already, so I would
expect most packages to need at worst trivial changes, excepting the few
that need handwritten assembler and those that haven't been fixed for
alpha/ia64/s390x yet.

> The only snag with this is that we now need two glibc's on the system:
> the 32-bit one and the 64-bit one.

There's always the ia32-libs approach:

  Package: ia32-libs
  Version: 0.3
  Section: libs
   This package delivers a set of pre-compiled ia32 (i386 family) shared
   libraries, so that ia32 Linux applications can be executed on ia64 systems.