Re: Proposal: New /etc/alternatives/www-browser*

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Steve Greenland wrote:

> On 27-Jun-02, 02:21 (CDT), "Tille, Andreas" <TilleA@rki.de> wrote:
> > This would enable to build packages with debian/control entries like:
> >
> >    Depends: w3m | www-browser
> >    Depends: lynx | www-browser-text
> >    Depends: galeon | www-browser-graphical
>
> Depends: urlview
>
> And then call /etc/urlview/url_handler.sh <URL TO READ>
>
> This allows the users to configure both a system wide default (via
> /etc/urlview/system.urlview) and a per-user default (~/.urlview).
But installing urlview does not guarantee that any browser is installed
at all.  Even

    ~> apt-cache show urlview | grep -i recommends
    Recommends: www-browser

urlview uses such kind of virtual package - even if I think it is
a bug that it only Recommends and not "Depends".

But thanks for the hint.  While looking at the great NMU of Joey Hess
(urlview_0.9-2.2) all my questions are answered.  I must have sleeped
when the new Debian browser policy was announced.  I guess all my
wishes are fullfilled now.

Kind regards and thanks for the hint

         Andreas.