Re: suggested virtual package name: dns-server

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 18:25, Toni Mueller wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm stumbling across a load of dns server software that conflict in
> imho spurious ways with each other. To resolve the situation, I suggest
> having one or two new virtual package names
>
>    dns-server
>
>    or maybe
>
>    dns-server-resolver and dns-server-authoritative
>
> that should make conflict resolution more predictable, and also allow
> the user greater flexibility in the configuration of their name server
> software. Example cases:
>
> - 'ldapdns' conflicts with 'bind' but not 'bind9'.
> - 'ldap2dns' depends on 'bind' and 'djbdns' (the latter non-existing in
>   Debian), and thus, by transitivity, conflicts with 'bind9'.
> - Then there are maradns and mydns that don't conflict with any other
>   DNS server.
> - Then there are pdsnd and pnrd which conflict with each other, but no
>   other software like eg. 'bind'.
> - There's djbdns-installer which neither conflicts with nor provides
>   anything.
>
> Maybe I've overlooked something, but sorting the various dns software
> components into authoritative and resolving packages (and maybe ignoring
> the point that one could imagine having eg. a BIND resolver and a mydns
> authoritative server) appears to be desirable to me.
>
> Opinions are welcome!

Definately a good idea. There are also other dns-servers out there (not
part of Debian because of licensing, but packaged for Debian), which
also conflict with bind and a virtual package name could solve that
pretty well.

--
Regards,
Martin List-Petersen