Re: gcc-3.2 transition breaks build of KDE packages

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 08:32:51AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 11:01:53AM +0100, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It seems that the gcc-3.2 transition breaks the build of KDE packages.
> >
> > In the mail sent on -devel-announce, it was written to deal like this in
> > case of packages depending on libqt2:
> >
> > # Otherwise, change the package to build-depend on gcc-2.95 [!hppa
> >   !ia64], g++-2.95 [!hppa !ia64], gcc-2.96 [ia64], g++-2.96 [ia64],
> >   gcc-3.0 [hppa], g++-3.0 [hppa]
> > # Change the package to use gcc-2.95 and g++-2.95 in the build process
> >   for most archs, -3.0 on hppa, and -2.96 on ia64
> >

> > However, it seems it doesn't work, because kdelibs-dev is now
> > uninstallable:
> >
> > bin/bash-2.05b# apt-get install kdelibs-dev
>
> I may be crazy but the above are build-depends, so wont affect a
> packages installability. How are you making this link?

I just want to show I have done what was written in the mail on
debian-devel-announce, and it doesn't work. The real problem is that all
KDE package build-depends on kdelibs-dev which is not installable.

In fact, the thing to do is to wait for KDE 3. I only hope there will no
bug reports on a KDE package, since bugs can't be fixed at least on other
architectures than the uploader one.

BTW, is it possible to add the tag "can't fix" to the BTS meaning the
maintainer know how to fix the bug, but can't for various reason
(transition, need a new version of a library not yet uploaded, ...).
It's not the first time this tag could be useful...

Aurelien