Re: What should go into "How Software Producers can distribute their products directly in .deb format"?

On Sunday 08 December 2002 13:29, Aaron Isotton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (sorry for the overlong subject).
>
> I originally sent this to debian-doc but I got no answers, so I
> thought I'd post it here too.
>
> I'm interested in writing the "How Software Producers can distribute
> their products directly in .deb format" manual, as listed on
> http://www.debian.org/doc/devel-manuals.  I thought to write the
> following, more or less:

In the end it makes very little sense for a3rd party to provide debs.  The LSB
requires rpm support only.  Personally I would be happy if they released a
rpm for compliance and a tarball (binary or source as they wish) for everyone
else.