Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 02:07:00PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> >The habits (and I have them too) of thinking that disk space is costly
> >are really old habits that it's time to break.
>
> No, it's not. Low end disks are cheap. High end disks still aren't.

Disks are still $1 per gigabyte.  IDE disks are more than sufficient
for this task, aren't they?  Other disks run--omigosh--up to $2 per
gigabyte.

> Bandwidth still isn't.  Especially when you're spending donated
> resources rather than your own.

Mirrors are quite free to decide not to download anything but the i386
packages.  Surely doing this job right would involve making sure that
this is possible and works well.  So adding extra to our stock
wouldn't increase *anything* except for those who choose to carry
more.

Ordinary users download what they actually need, and wouldn't download
any more than they do now.