Re: Why are new package versions depending on libc6 in unstable?

On 20-Nov-02, 13:31 (CST), Mike Fedyk <mfedyk@matchmail.com> wrote:
> If the package is compatible (this is the majority case) with its
> dependancies from unstable and testing then you can test to see if it is
> this package or some library it depends on.  libc6 is a perfect example.  To
> test xvncviewer I had to install the libc6 from unstable, and vnc just
> doesn't HAVE to depend on libc6 2.3.x, it could have just as easily depended
> on libc6 2.2.5 in testing.  If it did, then it could be in testing now.

And then when libc6 2.3.x dropped into testing, and broke xvncviewer, it
would be broken in testing as well as unstable. Yes, I understand that
it can still happen with packages that haven't yet been built with libc6
2.3.x, but I don't see how increasing the problem helps.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland

    world.       -- seen on the net