Re: Why are new package versions depending on libc6 in unstable?

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 20:26, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 08:16:00PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> >If the package needs a particular version of a package in order to
> >build, it must declare that in its Build-Depends.  So if it doesn't
> >build with an older version, it's buggy.
>
> So the package maintainer should know a priori which versions of
> his build deps will be broken when his package happens to hit the
> buildds?

Not completely; obviously we're not omniscient.  However, I would expect
people to make a passable attempt at it.  At least I do.  The
availability of tools like pbuilder and a regular chroot makes things
easier, plus just common sense (if you know that a library is changing
very often, it's best to Build-Depend on the latest verion of the
development package).