#include <hallo.h>
* Branden Robinson [Thu, Nov 14 2002, 01:47:49PM]:

> > Yes, and the time sacrificed for that repository will be subtracted
> > from the time sacrificed for Debian proper.
>
> You cannot know this.

Sure we can. Does death penalty stop murderers? No. Do strict software
licenses stop warez kiddies? I doubt. If we do not provide the packages,
someone else will do. We would just hurt Debians reputation by forcing
the people to use packages from unknown source rather then from official
mirrors. I can even imagine that many image admins will continue to
provide the non-free three as-is, ignoring the GR.

> 1) Some people may decide they don't feel like fooling with non-free
> anymore, and decide to spend time on Free Software instead.

Ideology. Who cares about it? If I need acroread for some presentation,
I want to use it. Know. Not to wait till xpdf bug is fixed so I can run
it in full-screen.

> 2) Some people may decide to not fool with non-free anymore, and use the
> time newly made available to hang out with friends and family or pursue
> some pastime unrelated to computer software.

What exactly has this to do with Free vs. Non-Free software difference?

<...lots of similar semi-pathetic stuff deleted...>

> Ultimately, we cannot dictate to other people how they will spend their
> time.  We can also not predict with high reliability in aggregate how
> they will spend it.  There are, in my estimation, too many variables.

Yes. If the people package non-free software, and it can be distributed
w/o problems, I would not drop it just for ideology.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
"Mir wurde mal von einem Siemens Vertriebler ins Gesicht gesagt, DeCnet
 sei kein routebares Protokoll. Er habe es von einem Siemens-Techniker