Re: Free bigot flame burning, time to think.

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 03:03:33PM -0700, Eric Richardson wrote:
> After reading hundreds of messages, this one is uplifting.

An interesting response to a message that delcares that brands people
who disagree with as bigots.

> 1. I would rather see myself and others use Debian which is free.

So what are you going to do to manifest that vision?

> 2. Adding a non-free to Debian is much better than any alternative I can
> think of.

There hasn't yet been an amendment proposed to John's GR that would
actually do this.

> It may be needed for business or other reasons. Most people who
> support Free software will look at this as a necessary compromise
> until a substitute is available.

Many people go right on using non-free software even after substitutes
are available.  Who can blame them?  Debian certainly doesn't do
anything to encourage them to switch, except spout some principled
rhetoric like the Social Contract which apparently need not been taken
seriously.

> For my own compromising reasons, I use Java 2 which means I have to
> point to a Blackdown mirror and the ones I've looked at seem to be
> broken at present time. This is bad from an administrators point of view
> and makes it harder to use Debian which is the easiest to maintain IMHO.

You'll have to talk to Sun Microsystems about that; as I understand it
Debian cannot distribute Java 2 even in the non-free section of the
archive.  I do not understand how the proposed GR has anything at all to
do with your Java 2 difficulties.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      The noble soul has reverence for
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      itself.