On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:57:02PM -0600, Vince Mulhollon wrote:

> Some rabble rousing:
> Could there be a slippery slope argument?  Some of the arguments for
> deletion of non-free boil down to "I don't personally like it, thus I wish
> to forcibly take it away from everyone".  Would the next vote be to
> eliminate emacs, gnome or python using similar arguments [...]

The issue of non-free is an issue particularly close to the hearts of
many who agree with our social contract.  For the most part, developers
don't get riled up about the fact that Debian contains packages they
don't personally use/like.  Do you believe that we would ever get a
supermajority of DDs to vote in favor of removing emacs, gnome, or python
from the archive?  If we did, could this really be construed as a
"slippery slope", or would that just indicate a predisposition among our
body to legislate unfavorable ideas out of existence?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer