Re: Ask yourself some questions (was: Discussion - non-free software removal)

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 14:19, Branden Robinson wrote:
> Does Debian have the right to decide whether or not to terminate a
> service?  Does the service belong to Debian, or must it remain forever,
> as a public entitlement, completely irrelevant of the level of desire of
> the public to use it?

Or, is this actually the most compelling argument in the mass of knots
above?  Is this about users?  Is this about getting packages to apt-get
install painlessly?  Is this about bandwidth?  Is this about disk
space?  Or is this about skilled peoples time being wasted on
maintaining another infrastructure for non-free software?

We might all have, individually, a small percentage of installed
applications when using vrms... However, the combination of all users
most likely cover a wide range of requirements.  This range of
requirements, coupled with the resource saving of using existing
infrastructure could easily enough justify the opinion: Wasting skilled
developer time on maintaining a secondary infrastructure for non-free
software is possibly detrimental to Free software development and the
*human* resources of the project as a whole.

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> KC0OBS http://www.ringworld.org/