Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On 10/24/2002 10:32 PM, Manoj Srivastava at srivasta@debian.org wrote:

> I don't know. Depends on who is making the decision. From what
> I have heard on this thread, the best, most powerful, and functional
> window managers out there have not even been considered (sawfish and
> fvwm).

I agree, most of the discussion has been on the Big Two - Gnome and KDE,
with other mentioned now and then, like WindowMaker and XFce.

This lack of mention is not meant to imply that Debian Desktop would thereby
exclude window managers such as sawfish or fvwm from Debian.  Indeed, Debian
Desktop could never and would never exclude a Debian user from installing
whatever GUI he chose.

However, there are a LOT of Unix desktops out there, and quite a few of
those are packaged by Debian.  Would Debian Desktop have the resources to
support all of them equally with custom icons, themes, wallpapers, tweaked
settings, etc.  I don't know.  Hopefully DeDe could, if we get enough
volunteer support.

If nothing else, I hope that the Debian Desktop default menu will be
something that most all Debian GUIs could use.  That in itself would
equalize things a pretty fair amount across the board.

Cheers,
Luke Seubert