Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On 10/24/2002 12:30 PM, Marek Habersack at grendel@debian.org wrote:

> That "resource intensive" argument is getting a bit worn out, I think.
> [snip]
> Times have really changed. People have more memory and cycles for less these
> days. Sure, there still are people who don't have them but you can't win
> everything for everyone...

Times have changed in the rich countries, but in the 2nd and 3rd worlds,
they are still using low powered computers.  And even in the richer
countries, a lot of users who may want to try Linux don't want to mess with
their new and powerful Windows XP machine, but might want to try it out on
and old and creaky Pentium II box they have laying around.

For all of these users, especially the rapidly expanding user base in the
less well off countries; Debian Desktop should give some thought to
supporting at least a few of the lightweight desktop managers.

This is true internationalisation :-)

Cheers,
Luke Seubert