Re: [desktop] first Debian Desktop Package uploaded

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 09:34, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On 24 Oct 2002, Colin Walters wrote:
>
> > I am interested.  Could you file a bug against the desktop-base package
> > later today or tomorrow so I don't forget?
> Hmmm this might be a little bit soon in terms of what I plan to provide ...
> >
> > One thing I am interested in is using them as a backdrop for a Debian
> > splash screen.  That would be a great candidate for desktop-base.
> I would like to help here but there is only a glimpse of what I planed
> to provide for good quality images at
>
>      http://people.debian.org/~tille/debian-background/
>
> These are the images my son and me worked on for ideal screen size ratio,
> good image quality regarding histogram normalisation and with removed
> dust.
>
> The two scripts give an idea what I wanted to provide to get correctly
> scaled images for reasonable screen sizes.
>
> TODO:
>   1. Grab the original images and crop them to apropriate size ratio
>      (width : height = 4 : 3).  I use my own written programm paul for
>      this purpose.  My local copy contains a view to the size ratio
>      in the cutting window.  I could make it official if someone has
>      interest.
>   2. Possibly remove dust and get a good normalized histogram using
>      Gimp.
>   3. Scale it to 1600:1200 resolution.

May I suggest that several images are produced in the last step.  Not
everyone uses 1600 x 1200 as a desktop resolution.  Most websites that
provide desktop backgrounds have 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, and
1600x1200 or some other combination of common sizes.

--
Stephen Depooter
<sbdep@myrealbox.com>