Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 11:26, Marek Habersack wrote:

> The question is whether Debian Desktop will exist for bare window managers
> and XFCe, too? Or do we consider only KDE/GNOME as the DD target
> environments?

I think that there is a general consensus that for the user base Debian
Desktop is mainly targeting, GNOME and KDE are the best choices.  But
again, a lot of the work will benefit users of other desktops too.  I
don't know if XFCE or whatever it is can read .desktop files, but if it
can, then it will get a nice default set of links from desktop-base.
Plus the debian-related splash screens and stuff.

And the work we are going to put into the menu system will pay off for
everyone, as long as they use X and a Debian packaged window manger.

As for the GNOME resource usage; let me just say that GNOME takes *less*
memory and runs *much faster* now in GNOME 2.  I am not sure about KDE,
but I imagine it is similar.