Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On 10/23/2002 10:49 PM, Joakim Kolsjö at joakim.kolsjo@home.se wrote:

> Ok. I hope that we can agree to name the applications things like "Web
> Browser",
> because it would be of great help to new users(so they can find what they are
> looking for without to much effort).

Yes, I think this makes a lot of sense.

> I also think the possibility to reach
> the myriad of applications(in their real names) that exists should be possible
> in a submenu.

I agree that some means to allow knowledgable Linux users to access programs
based upon their actual names is a good idea.  I would add that these should
probably also be menus that are deeply nested, with all available programs;
not just the simplified menu structure of Debian Desktop.

I am not sure if a submenu is the way to do it though.  Perhaps the idea
getting knocked around in other parts of this thread - the notion of a
switching mechanism between "Basic" menu and "Advanced" menu would be the
better way to accomplish this goal?

As we are still in brainstorming phase, personally, I am still open to
differing ideas.  Eventually, an all around optimal solution will present
itself that rough consensus will agree upon.  (Heh. We hope.)

Cheers,
Luke Seubert