Re: JOEL BAKER, STOP TELLING PEOPLE TO DEPEND ON LIBC-DEV *INSTEAD* OF LIBC6-DEV

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 01:06:14PM +0200, Jesus Climent wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 10:17:15AM +0200, Jesus Climent wrote:
> >
> > What about erasing the dependency totally?
>
> I meant, to set the dependency on what build-essential provides:

Because:

A) build-essential is what you can assume is present for a *build*
   dependency;
B) runtime dependencies are something else;
C) your package may need libc headers and static libs but not the other
   stuff that build-essential would force onto the box.

Perhaps we should re-examine why we have -dev packages that depend on
other -dev packages in the first place.

My assumption had been that it's to keep the linker from barfing if
you're compiling a static object using the library in question.  Most
such libraries[1] will have unresolved symbols, very often into libc.
On this theory you'd also need dependencies on -dev packages containing
any other unresolved symbols.  For instance, libxaw7-dev would depend on
xlibs-dev because it calls into the Xlib and Xt libraries and on
libc6-dev | libc-dev because -- like most code -- it uses the standard C
library.

Now, maybe that assumption is wrong.  Evidence against it is that
linking fails if you don't have a toolchain either.  So my theory
actually supports Jesus Climent's proposal.

So, let's figure it out.  What should packages containing only header
files and object archives (.a files) depend on, in and of themselves,
anything?

[1] Andrew Suffield and I tried to make the libtwofish-dev package not
have a dependency on libc6-dev, since the only C library functions it
used were memset() and memcpy(), but I backed away from that effort
after talking to the upstream maintainer.  So let's keep in mind that
even if we go with my interpretation, there may be -dev packages out
there that have no reason to depend on the C library development
package.  Some libs have limited needs, or do everything themselves.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      The noble soul has reverence for
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      itself.