RFP: gnome-vim -- Gnome-vim is a Bonobo component which embeds VIM

Package: wnpp
Version: unavailable; reported 2002-09-29
Severity: wishlist

* Package name    : gnome-vim
  Version         : 0.1.3
  Upstream Author : Jason Hildebrand <jason@peaceworks.ca>
* URL             : http://www.opensky.ca/gnome-vim/
* License         : GPL
  Description     : Gnome-vim is a Bonobo component which embeds VIM and
		    implements (part of) the same interface as the
		    GtkHTML component.

[From the web site]

Gnome-vim is a Bonobo component which embeds VIM and implements (part
of) the same interface as the GtkHTML component. This makes it possible
to use VIM in Evolution, instead of the default HTML editor.

How does it work?

Gnome-vim uses the zvt widget (terminal), and runs a copy of vim inside
of that. It implements many of the methods in the GtkHTML interface by
sending keystrokes to the embedded vim, to cause it to load and save
files, jump to specific parts of the document, etc. Yes, it's a hack. :)

Does it work?

Gnome-vim doesn't yet implement the full interface; many of the methods
are no-ops. However, I've implemented enough that it works quite well
with Evolution, and I use it daily. I haven't implemented the
Bonobo::PersistFile yet, so you can't do "File->Save" or "File->Save as"
from the composer menu and have it work. Sending messages, replying,
forwarding, using signatures, saving as drafts and then re-editing, etc.
all work.

I haven't tested gnome-vim with programs other than Evolution, because
I'm not aware of other programs which make use of the GtkHTML component.

[I'd love to see this in Debian if it ever gets working.]

-- System Information:
Debian Release: testing/unstable
Architecture: i386
Kernel: Linux aenima 2.4.18 #9 Tue Jun 25 20:53:50 CEST 2002 i686
Locale: LANG=es_ES@euro, LC_CTYPE=es_ES@euro (ignored: LC_ALL set)

--
         It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half
 .''`.   a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.