Re: [RFD] optimized versions of openssl

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 18:26, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 01:10:38PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> > Except, IIRC, we stopped doing that for glibc since it caused all sorts
> > of hell. (Don't remember the specific hellaciousness, but I don't recall
> > it being good. :) If that method can be used sucessfully it would be
> > nice for this case.
>
> The hell was specific to glibc, and because it was the whole glibc and
> not a small optimized core like I proposed above - glibc exported
> different functions based on the CPU or something.  Or there was a
> calling conventions issue.  Something like that.

Yeah.  I think the actual cause of the glibc hell was that you could end
up with version skew between ld.so and libc.so, because the optimised
versions of the latter were in separate packages and could be upgraded
independently of libc6.deb itself.  Like you say, this isn't a problem
that other libraries are likely to have.

p.