Re: [RFD] optimized versions of openssl

"Vince Mulhollon" <vlm@norlight.com> writes:

> I think I can safely speak for everyone on debian-devel as per this:
>
> 1) The difference in overall speed is small, and rarely publically
> reported.  The 1% gain is individually considered either vital
> must-have, or worthless.

You have obviously never used ssl on a SPARC machine. The lowest
supported SPARC architecture is SPARCv7 which does not have hardware
division and multiplication. Recompiling libssl with SPARCv8
optimizations speeds up logging in with ssh on an Ultra1 (SPARCv9) by
a factor of 6, IIRC. See the debian-sparc archives for details.

And the less flamy part is in http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc

--
ilmari