Re: [RFD] optimized versions of openssl

On 09/04/2002 08:26:19 AM "Vince Mulhollon" wrote:

>> I think I can safely speak for everyone on debian-devel as per this:
>>
>> 1) The difference in overall speed is small, and rarely publically
>> reported.
>> The 1% gain is individually considered either vital must-have, or
>> worthless.
>> 2) The archive disk space required expands.
>> This is individually considered either intolerably huge or not worth
>> mentioning.
>> 3) In a question of "good taste" like this, one developer can't force
>> another developer to either do this or not do this.
>> If you want to do this, no one can stop you.

I apologize for following up to my own response but I forgot one important
one:

4) It makes troubleshooting "more exciting".
Does user A's SSL not work while user B's works OK?
What if user A is using -i386 while user B is using -tsc586 and the package
maintainer is using -k6?
Some individuals don't consider this a problem, some consider this a
crisis.