lack of libbz2 bindings [Was: Packages.bz2, ...]

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 05:34:48PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> > Presuming things continue to work in unstable, the same change will be
> > made to testing in a few weeks. Similarly, the Contents-*.gz files for
> > unstable will probably be switching to .bz2 in the not too distant future.

The changes uncomrpessed -> .gz seems fine to me, but the changes .gz ->
.bz2 is IMO a bit risky. I'm thinking about the lack of binding for
libbz2 library (or at least the .deb of them) for a lot of programming
languages (e.g.: perl, python, ocaml seems to me to be missing such a
binding).

I have a lot of scripts (and I suppose a lot of people have too) that
parse .gz version of debian db and if you switch it all to .bz2, this
can be a problem.

Obviously we can start writing, packaging, libbz2 binding and also is a
minor problem if changing only Contents* file; this mail is just to add
some relevance to this aspect.

My 0.02 Eur,
Cheers.

--