Re: RFD: Architecture field being retarded? [was: How to specify architectures *not* to be built?]

Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Brian May wrote:
>
> > This proposal would also allow, say bochs, to provide i386 too (although
> > I think more work might be needed here).
>
> No, it wouldn't.
>
> Say you install bochs on alpha.  If bochs provides i386, then this would tell
> dpkg that it is ok to install i386 binaries in the host.

Theres also a more suitable project under way. Instead of emulating a
complete system it just translates the assembler code and transaltes
syscalls to your architecture.

I don't know its name because I only heart from it. Falk Hueffner is
trying to get his Mathematica(i386) running on his alpha with it.

>From what he told me its way faster than bochs and transperent. Could
probably made into a binary_misc style module so the kernel supports
i386 elf binaries.

MfG
        Goswin