Re: Why a package is removed or kept back?

* Erich Schubert (erich@debian.org) wrote:
> > Why is it removing the qt3 dev packages? I checked gdk-imlib-dev,
> > libpng2-dev and libgnome-dev for conflicts with the qt3 dev libraries,
> > but I don't see any mentioned. So why are they being removed on this
> > install? it doesn't make sense to me.
>
> Without having looked at the dependencies:
> Maybe gnome depends on libpng2-dev, which conflicts with libpng-dev,
> which is required for libqt3-dev ?
> Check the dependencies of libqt3-dev, too!

Thanks.

That turns out to be the case, and I hope gnome2 fixes this by requiring
libpng-dev instead of libpng#-dev. Otherwise it seems you can't develop
for the one when you are developing for the other. Now that just isn't
fair ;-)

However, that doesn't fully answer my queston. Isn't there a tool or a
command I can use to determine why a package was kept back or removed?

    __   _                                           Carl B. Constantine
   / /  (_)__  __ ____  __                          duckwing@duckwing.ca
  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  (2.4.18)              http://www.duckwing.ca
                                            PGP key available on request

   "Microsoft is not the Borg. The Borg have better tech support."