Re: Get rid of /etc/mtab ?

Brian May <bam@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 10:08:47AM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> > devfs, I would like to have /dev/root there to stop df from adding
>
> Maybe what you really need is a version of df that has an option that
> truncates the length of the first column.
>
> eg. df doesn't really need to display /dev at the start of very device,
> ethis is normally the default.
>
> Other stuff could be removed to, depending on the size of your screen,
> and the size of the device name.
>
> As for the problem that the first column would no longer be "correct",
> well "/dev/root" isn't really correct either. However this fixes the

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           33 Jan  1  1970 /dev/root -> ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1

/dev/root is the right device.

> problem in the tool which has the problem, and doesn't try to work
> around the problem by "loosing" information in /dev/mtab.

"mount /dev/discs/disc0/part3" should show "/dev/discs/disc0/part3" in
the /proc/mounts. Thats what I mounted. Instead it will follow the
link and show the longer devfs name. I haven't looked at mount
internas and how the kernel represents mounts so I don't know if thats
mounts or the kernels fault or if its just a sideeffect of something.

MfG
        Goswin