Re: Some important packages have been orphaned

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 06:38:16PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
>   Just in case noone noticed, some important packages have
>   been orphaned yesterday, among them: gnat, gvd, erlang and
>   some Ada libraries.
>
>   http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/orphaned for me details.

No indication seems to be made as to why the packages are orphaned.

For instance is it due to lack of time? Lack of interest? Or
that gnat-3.1 is now out?

Actually, I am a bit disappointed with Ada support in Debian at the
moment (although this may not be Debian's fault), gnat is broken and
miscompiles correct code (1 problem has a work around, the other
doesn't), gnat-3.1 is also broken and miscompiles correct code (1
problem has a yucky work around, the other problem is the same one with
no work around for gnat), and gdb hasn't had Ada support for ages.

I have filed bugs reports both in Debian (gnat and gnat-3.1) and
upstream (gnat-3.1), but so far no response from upstream. I did get
a response from the Debian maintainers, but they can't be expected to
solve upstream's problems.

If these problems get fixed in the future, I will consider taking over
the relevant packages. Until then though, I will use gnat-3.1 and try to
avoid using other Ada packages that trigger the bugs I have seen.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>