Re: kickstart (autoinstall)? Was: Planned packages for sarge

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 10:56:57AM -0400, Scott wrote:

> Do sysadmins want kickstart? maybe
> Do sysadmins want FAI?  maybe

So what about the already existing "autoinstall" package?

apt-cache show autoinstall:

 This package contains the Progeny Debian auto-installation system.
 This system makes it possible to install a complete Debian system with no
 user interaction from a set of configuration files.

And "partimage"?

apt-cache show partimage:

 This makes it possible to save a full Linux/Windows system with a single
 operation.  In case of a problem (virus, crash, error, etc.), you just have
 to restore, and after several minutes, your entire system is restored
 (boot, files, etc.), and fully working.

Those are already working. Maybe a bit of polish or just code jarnitor
work can make them be a viable installation system for mass admin
places.

Jesus Climent | Unix System Admin | Helsinki, Finland.
http://www.HispaLinux.es/~data/  |  data.pandacrew.org
Please, encrypt mail address to me: GnuPG ID: 86946D69
FP: BB64 2339 1CAA 7064 E429  7E18 66FC 1D7F 8694 6D69
Registered Linux user #66350 Debian 3.0 & Linux 2.4.19

Tell me, Mr. Anderson, what good is a phone call when you are unable to
speak?
		--Agent Smith (The Matrix)