Re: Accepted sdl-image1.2 1.2.2-1 (i386 source)

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 07:03:14AM -0500, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> >> Jérôme Marant <marant.logatique@fr.thalesgroup.com> writes:
>
>  > On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 01:26:23PM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
>  >
>  > >  For the maintainers of the above mentioned packages, it'd be
>  > >  worthwhile figuring out why these packages depend on libpng2.  They
>  > >  shouldn't.
>  >
>  >   Speaking about libsdl-ocaml, should it build-depend on libpng-dev
>  >   or libpng3-dev?
>
>  It should build depend on libsdl-image1.2-dev and let that package
>  state what it wants to have.

  This is exactly what I did for ocamlsdl but if I had a closer
  look at its source, I would have seen that it ialso calls libpng.

>  Now, *if* your program *does* care about libfoo, that is, it uses
>  functions from libfoo directly (and not via libbar), *then* it should
>  include libfoo in the link line.  (This is the reason why I said
>  "figure out why your library depends on libpng2", there might be a
>  valid reason for that)

  When you change the dependency on libpng in libsdl-image, apps
  that are built against libsdl-image need to be recompiled against
  the new libsdl-image anyway, hence avoiding the DLL Hell problem
  (that is, you cannot have both png2 and 3 installed)

  Thanks.

--
Jérôme Marant