Re: Accepted sdl-image1.2 1.2.2-1 (i386 source)

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Your understanding is correct -- a binary that wants a versioned symbol
> will not settle for an unversioned symbol.  Is this a grave concern?
> Do we know that there are ISVs compiling (libpng-using) software on
> Debian today with the expectation that their binaries will work
> elsewhere?  As far as I've heard, /no one/ develops software on Debian
> except for use on Debian-derived systems.

This is why I'd like to see the versioning for *distribution-provided*
libraries in the LSB.  Asking the vendors to version their libs will cause
screwups, of course.

We should at the very least make sure core libs (anything used by a nss
module, and anything used by core GNOME, KDE and X11 libraries) are either
versioned, or extremely unlikely to be linked twice...

> so after an open bug has been sitting idle for (e.g.) 4 months, the

Make it 1 month. We are trying to put an end to this "no NMU even if I am
not doing my work" mentality.  And recompiling a package is a very trivial
NMU...

  Henrique Holschuh