libtool breaking up in "make install DESTDIR=$PWD/debian/tmp"

Hi,

 [ please Cc: me ]

 I have a problem with a library I'd considering packaging.

 A single source tarball produces two libraries (call them liba and
 libb).  libb depends on liba.  Compiling is no problem, but when
 running:

 $ make install DESTDIR=$PWD/debian/tmp

 libtool installs liba correctly, but when it goes to install libb it
 dedices it has to relink it (because it was configured for installation
 in /usr/lib but now it's being installed in $PWD/debian/tmp/usr/lib).
 While doing this, it screws up, looses track of libb.so.0.0.1 (yes,
 libb) and bombs out.

 $ ./libtool --version
 ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.4.2 (1.922.2.53 2001/09/11 03:18:52)

 Upstream is using automake 1.6 and that's causing grief when trying to
 regenerate the makefiles, so I can't say for sure if that would fix
 anything.

 Anyone seen this before?

--
Marcelo             | I have to admit that I drive past Bridgwater quite
mmagallo@debian.org | regularly. And fast.