Re: *term -ls, a summary

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> >>"Manfred" == Manfred Wassmann <debian-devel@NCC-1701.B.Shuttle.de> writes:
>
>  Manfred> Of course you will use an interactive non-login-shell when
>  Manfred> you start a subshell inheriting all settings from the
>  Manfred> environment set up by the parent (login-)shell.
>
> 	My parent process is not necesarily the login shell, but the
>  window manager; and these xterms still should inherit things set in
>  ~/.xsession -- like ssh-ask-password env stuff, and other things done
>  once on logging in to a windowing environment (which is different
>  from things done once on logins, common to consoles and windowing
>  environments)

Starting a shall as a login shell does not *remove* anything from the
environment, it just *adds* stuff which is appropriate for direct user
interaction with the shell.  And you can't add that stuff in .xsession
because it is specific to the shell being run, and you can run different
shells in one X session.

> 	Why are we trying to remove these distinctions?

Noone wants to remove distinctions.