Re: Mounting NFS several times

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 12:33:46PM +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 12:19:04PM +0200, Oystein Viggen wrote:
> > Yes, but what happens if you try to
> > # mount /dev/user_data/music /mnt
> > # mount /dev/user_data/music /mnt
> >
> > That's what Michael is basically doing, and I believe the kernel won't
> > allow it.  At least earlier 2.4.x didn't.  (because this apparently
>
> mme@feivel:/.autofs/nfs/home/mme$ sudo mount /dev/hda12 /mnt
> mme@feivel:/.autofs/nfs/home/mme$ sudo mount /dev/hda12 /mnt
> mount: /dev/hda12 already mounted or /mnt busy
> mount: according to mtab, zwerg:/exports/usr.local is already mounted on /mnt
>
> That's exactly my point. It's allowed with NFS but doesn't work with
> local device.

You can mount as many things as you want on the same mount point, period.
There is nothing wrong or inconsistent about that.

However, you can only mount a particular device once, regardless of the
mount point, because otherwise things would break.  NFS exports, however,
are not the same as local devices, and can be mounted many times by many
clients without problems.  So there is no reason why you should be prevented
from mounting the same NFS export multiple times on the same host,
regardless of where you mount it.

--
 - mdz